You can find a full list of news in our news archive (in Danish).
European Road Cycling Championships to Herning
From August 2nd till 6th the roads of Herning Municipality will host the European Championships.
The best bikeriders in Europe will ride the highways and byways of Denmark, when they in august 2017 will decide who becomes European Champion.
On August 8nd 2017 UEC (Union Européenne de Cyclisme) revealed that the 2017 European Road Cycling Championships will be held in Herning, Denmark in cooperation with DCU (Denmarks Cycle Union), Herning Municipality, Sport Event Denmark, Region Central Jutland and the MCH-cooperation.
- DCU as well as Herning Municipality and Sport Event Denmark have convinced us in UEC that they can lift the 2017 championship to new heights, for both the athletes and the spectators. We are, amongst many others things, excited about the ideas to involve the audience and have recreational cyclists try out the official route. At the same time, Hernings experience with hosting big sport events has convinced us that they are the right venue for an event of this magnitude, says David Lappartient, president of UEC.
DCU-president Henrik Jess Jensen is thrilled.
- It is fantastic to announce a five-day championship in Herning on august 2nd to august 6th. It will be a gigantic cycling-party, where junior, U23 and elite-riders will compete for 12 sets of medals. I would like to thank UEC for this opportunity and Herning Municipality and Sport Event Denmark for making this ambition reality, says Henrik Jess Jensen.
Festive and innovative
In Herning Municipality mayor Lars Krarup looks forward to a grand experience for both athletes and spectators.
- Herning is bicycle-city number 1 in Denmark, as we also demonstrated when we hosted the first two stages of Giro d'Italia in 2012. A European Championship lasting five days, with more than 700 riders in six classes will mark a new highlight in the municipalitys history, says Lars Krarup
The championships have backing from a wide array of organisations, including Sport Event Denmark, who has an aim to attract international championships to Denmark.
- Yet another large-scale cycling-event has been secured for Denmark, and yet again in a sport, where Denmark has proud traditions and great results. Previously Denmark has hosted World Championships on the road, on track and in BMX, as well as the world championships for amateurs last year. Now it is time for a great experience for the people of Denmark and a spectacular event in central Jutland. It will be festive and innovative, says Lars Lundov, director of Sport Event Denmark
The MCH-cooperation will handle a large part of the logistics and hosting at the European Championships, and director of MCH Georg Sørensen is looking forward to welcome the cycling-elite.
- At MCH we love to have guests, and an European Championship in cycling will generate a lot of them. As part of this event we look forward to utilizing our know-how and experience, as well as showing all of Europe, how our facilities can serve as a festive and successful setting for a championship, says Georg Sørensen
To the hosts it is important that the championships will be an including event. It is the plan to have several recreational races, where everybody can ride the same route as the professionals.
- We see great perspectives in UEC's vision to make ERCC one of the most important dates on the race-calendar The championships in Bretagne in 2016, where Peter Sagan won, set the bar very high, but we plan to top that in 2017 says, Henrik Jess Jensen.
Mayor Lars Krarup expect to see many international tourists along the route.
- In august, when Germans, Swedes and Norwegians visit the Danish west-coast in large numbers we see a good potential for attracting an international crowd. In 2012, with the start of the Giro, we had many international guests, and in 2017 the timing is even better. A race featuring the biggest stars of European Cycling will draw large numbers, says Lars Krarup.
2017 European Road Cycling Championships takes place from august 2nd to august 6th 2017.
ERRC is arranged by UEC, DCU, Herning Municipality, Sport Event Denmark, Region Central Jutland and MCH.
In the coming months the routes will be planned in cooperation with local police authorities.
In 2016 in Bretagne 777 riders from 45 countries participated in the ERRC.
The EERC will feature 12 different competitions in TT and roadrace for men and women in the Junior, U23 and Elite-classes.
The 12 competitions are planned like this:
Wednesday, August 2nd:
TT - Junior (M+W)
TT - U23 (M)
Thursday August 3rd:
TT - U23 (W)
TT - Elite (W+M)
Friday August 4th:
RR - Junior (W) + Junior or U23 (M)
Saturday August 5th:
RR - Junior or U23 (M)
RR - U23 + Elite (W)
Sunday August 6th:
RR - Elite (M)
Henrik Jess Jensen, president Dansk Cykle Union, 2520 2370
Lars Krarup, mayor of Herning Municipality, 9628 2322
Lars Lundov, director Sport Event Denmark, 4031 4855
Georg Sørensen, director of MCH, 21 400 200
Enrico Della Casa, Secrétaire Général, UEC, 0039 342 803 34 87
Frank Hyldgaard, projektmanager Herning Municipality, 3068 1820
Herning to host the 2017 European Triathlon Championships
After two successful years with the triathlon event Challenge
Billund-Herning, the organizers RaceMakers have succeeded in
getting the ETU European Half Distance Triathlon Championships to
Denmark and Herning. The athletes will swim 1.9 km, bike 90 km and
run 21.1km during the race.
"With ChallengeHerning and our Nordic Team we are establishing excellent portfolio of high Quality Races in the Region." Says Zibi Szlufcik, CEO of ChallengeFamily.
The European Championships hosted by ChallengeHerning is
organized by RaceMakers in collaboration with the European
Triathlon Union, The Danish Triathlon Federation, Sport Event
Denmark, and the Municipality of Herning.
"By joining forces and making use of the competences that characterize the Challenge organization alongside the federations, Sport Event Denmark and the Municipality of Herning, we have an incredible opportunity to create a much larger event than what would otherwise have been the case," says Claus Vesterby, Event Director and partner of RaceMakers.
"Through the championships, we attract the entire European elite to Denmark. And because we have an open race, everyone is welcome to participate and compete against the top athletes within this field. If you train properly and it's your day, everyone has a chance of standing on the podium," says Claus Vesterby.
"Hosting the official European Championship Half Distance in Denmark is a privilege and commitment to a long and lasting Partnership with the European Federation, the governing body of our Sport and National Federation of Denmark." says Zibi Szlufcik
"A European Championship in triathlon has the ability to bring together elite and Age Group athletes. We have previously seen it during other big international triathlon events in Denmark, and we saw it very notably at The World Half Marathon Championships in Copenhagen in 2014. Elite and Age Groupers in the same race create a completely unique and dynamic experience," says Lars Lundov, CEO in Sport Event Denmark
The Mayor expects a big party in the city
Lars Krarup, the Mayor of Herning, sees the European
Championships as a fine opportunity to display the
"In and around Herning, there are many scenic areas. The contestants will swim in our wonderful Lake Fuglsang, go on a bike ride through our beautiful nature, which the spectators will be able to enjoy on the sidelines along the route. Finally, they will reach the finish line at the city square in the Half of Herning. In connection to this, we are planning a major celebration where everyone can follow the participants during the race and finish with music and a party. I'm positive, that we will have a great Championship," says Lars Krarup.
Claus Vesterby says that the choice of Herning as the host city
was an easy one.
"It is an honor to have been selected to arrange an event on this scale in Herning. We have had so much support and so much experience from large championships to draw on that we never questioned that Herning should be the host city," says Claus Vesterby.
"The welcoming culture of the amazing People of Denmark, hosting Venue of the Sport City Herning as well as the endless beauty of the Nature are perfect surrounding for a world class Event." Says Zibi Szlufcik.
Registration for the ETU European Half Distance Triathlon Championships hosted by Challenge Herning on the webpage www.challengedenmark.dk from Tuesday June 28.
BOXEN will become a gigantic ice block
A few years back we poured water into BOXEN for the European swimming championship. And in 2018, we've been granted permission to freeze down the multi-arena to make it the perfect venue for the world ice hockey championship. It will be a big event! In terms of both sport and the experience!
So said Herning's very happy mayor Lars Krarup, who was advised by Minsk at noon Friday that Denmark has been chosen to host the A-level world ice hockey championship in four years' time.
Herning is widely regarded as Denmark's ice hockey city. The sport has a prominent place in the city's history and identity. Blue Fox is one of the most successful clubs here, and it has supplied strong players to both the NHL league in the USA and the Danish national team. So the ambition is clear: together with Copenhagen, the Danish Ice Hockey Union and Sport Event Denmark, we will create both a top professional venue for the actual championship, and a genuine national festival for fans and ice hockey enthusiasts at the matches, says the mayor.
The International Ice Hockey Federation's world congress, which is currently being held in connection with the A-level world championship in Minsk, voted 95 to 12 for Denmark to host the championships in 2018. Denmark's only competitor was Latvia, which hosted the world championship in 2006.
Sixteen countries take part in an ice hockey world championship, which lasts 17 days. It's one of the world's biggest sports events and it will be the biggest such event ever to be held in Denmark.
Sixty-four world championship matches will be played in the forthcoming Royal Arena in Copenhagen and the Jyske Bank BOXEN in Herning. At the same time, Copenhagen will host the ice hockey federation's world congress in connection with the championships.
Herning is Denmark's most successful ice hockey city with a total of 16 Danish championships - no other city has won more than ten. Herning has won a total of 28 medals.
Players who have grown up in Herning's junior division traditionally comprise around or more than a third of the Danish world championship team. In the 2014 world championship in Minsk, eight of the 24 players have a Herning background.
To date, Herning Blue Fox has produced four of Denmark's nine players in the NHL league:
- Frans Nielsen, New York Islanders - in January 2007 became the first Dane in the NHL and paved the way for others.
- Peter Regin, Chicago Blackhawks - now in the NHL playoff
- Frederik Andersen, Anaheim Ducks - best NHL rookie keeper this year
- Nicklas Jensen, Vancouver Canucks - very talented
The National Hockey League (NHL) is a professional ice hockey league with seven teams in Canada and 23 in the USA. Of all countries in the world, Denmark has produced the most NHL players relative to the number of ice hockey players. Denmark has only 4,000 registered ice hockey players, so one out of about 500 has thus finished up in the NHL.